Posted on July 15th, 2014
In this video you will learn how to create OOB SharePoint 2013 approval workflow in SharePoint 2013 online.
We have two characters(Persons) for SharePoint 2013 Approval workflow, one is requester who upload a document in the document library for approval, the workflows start as soon as requester upload a document, which will create a task and send an email to the approver for approval. Approver can either reject or approve the document. In both cases workflow ends there.
1. Login with user to create a workflow. In this video I am using site collection admin.
2. Click on document from navigation.
3. Click on Library from Ribbon.
4. Click on Workflow settings.
5. Change the workflow association type to documents.
6. You can see that SharePoint 2013 supports both platforms SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013.
7. Click on add workflow and it will redirect to screen where you can add a workflow.
8. Select “Approval workflow template”.
9. Enter a name “Change request Approval”.
10. Leave the task list and workflow History list as it is.
11. In start options just choose “Creating a new item will start this workflow”.
12. Click Next.
13. Enter “Approver” in the approvers field. Here the approver is the name of user who will approve or reject the change request document.
14. Leave other fields as it is and click on save.
15. You can observe that new workflow has been created under SharePoint 2010 section.
1. Login with Requestor and upload a CR document to the documents library.
2. Once you upload the document, refresh the page.
3. You can see that new column is added to view to show the workflow progress.
4. Click on “in progress” status of the workflow and this will redirect to the workflow status page.
5. In this screen you can see the Visio representation of the workflow, tasks and workflow history.
6. Tasks represents whom it was assigned to, Title and what is the due date etc.
7. Workflow history represents when workflow was started, description etc.
1. Login with Approver credentials.
2. Go to tasks lists and click on task assigned to the user.
3. Enter comments and click on Approve.
4. Check the task outcome and workflow status, you can see that workflow is approved.
We are planning to create videos on workflows in SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013 online. Feel free to post your comments here to see what type of concepts you are looking to learn in SharePoint workflows, so we will try to incorporate them in our upcoming videos.
Happy learning !!!
Devendra Velegandla is a four-time recipient of Microsoft's Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award (2014-2017) for Office Servers and Services MVP and SharePoint Server.He received the MCC award for his contributions in Microsoft MSDN/TechNet forums.He loves sharing articles, videos and tutorial on SharePoint and Office 365.